Sunday, June 27, 2010

BBQ Chicken Pizza

I'm posting this to share with you so that you too can enjoy the best pizza ever - oh and also so next time I want to make it again, I'll remember how. I was trying to imitate the pulled pork pizza from Boston Pizza but didn't have pork so I used chicken which I have tons of because Jason and Paige let us tag along with them to Costco and now we have lots.

I bought the dough in the bag at the store this time which made a lot of difference. Ordinarily I use the Pillsbury stuff which really is not so good. I had it in the cart but when I found the cold dough at the end of the bread Aisle I put the tubed Pillsbury stuff back right there with the cold dough. Gasp! Drew would have made me put it back where it belonged but he wasn't there so boy was I naughty!

For the sauce I used some old jarred spaghetti sauce I had in the fridge. I think its Prego. Just ordinary Prego, nothing fancy like Basil or Garlic flavored or anything like that. Next time I might try Emeril's recipe for Pulled Pork which uses a home made bbq sauce.

I boiled the chicken because I find that boiling it for 20 min. makes it shred very nicely. Then I added some bbq sauce from a bottle.

So, dough, sauce, red onions, tomatoes, banana peppers, mozzarella (not on 1/3 of it for Leo's sake) and then chicken. Bake at 425 for 20 min and voila!

For dessert we had homemade chocolate chip cookies (actually we ate those first and Leo had 4 of them so he didn't want to finish his pizza). I also made some popsicles from a recipe I got off my favorite site www.ourbestbites.com. It was blended strawberries and watermelon and I bought some new plastic popsicle makers and filled em up. Unfortunately when we opened the freezer they came flying out and Ithink the new plastic popsicle containers broke and slushy watermelon went all over the floor. I think some can be saved though. I'll let you know how they taste.

We have tons of dishes to do - or should I say that Drew has tons of dishes to do. Just think how many months earlier his dissertation might get done if we had a dishwasher.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe Drew could carry the dirty dishes upstairs to that dishwasher? Oh, shortly after you were home, I did find generic chocolate chips containing no milk products. (Actually, I didn't buy them yet since it might be a while before I get to see Leo again.) Too bad we can't teleport cookies thru skype. I have to think about your pizza a while ... bbq sauce and Prego combined seems unusual. You're going to have to do it again and take a picture of it so we can see it?
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that today actually. I am not much of a photographer unfortunately. However, you can't be talented in everything.

    Drew did just what you suggested. Only problem is that I had to carry them back downstairs. Oh how I can't wait to have a dishwasher in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but the kind of dishwasher you have now can give you a kiss and a hug! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete