Monday, April 27, 2009

The Mouse that Got Away at Midnight

Last week the cats caught another mouse, or should I say they found a toy and alerted us to the fact that there was a mouse in the house? We managed to get it and kill it and then the trap under the stove caught another one. If you are grossed out already I suggested that you stop reading now. Saturday night we were blissfully enjoying our slumber when suddenly awakened by a frantic scurry which could only mean another mouse. I suggested to Drew that he get up to check it out to confirm the diagnosis. It was indeed a mouse and he found it in the jaws of one of the cats in the living room. Great job kitty! Only problem is that as soon as kitty saw Drew, she dropped the mouse and it wasn't dead and scurried away. The chase was on. I got up to get on the gloves and Drew armed himself with our weapon of choice in these cases - a broom. THe trick is to put the broom on top of the mouse while I put a plastic baggie over the mouse and tie it up so Drew can take it outside and whack it against the wall to make sure it dies. Hey, I warned you to stop reading didn't I? Well, as soon as it got under the broom it learned to fly. Who knew mice could fly? This sucker was flying through the air and made Drew jump. It was a sight to see him in his panties, I tell ya. I hightailed it to the couch. SO, we continued to chase the mouse under the couch, pulled out the couch, under the tv, behind the bookcase, pulled out the bookcase and behind the prayer bench - me, Drew, Pink PInk, and Emily all trying fercoiusly to get this little squeeking mouse. And squeek it did. So much so that I had to call upstairs for reinforcements. THey never did answer despite the 2 messages I left. It's good to know you can count on NOBODY in an emergency! Finally around midnight - about 45 minutes after our chase began, our little friend made it into Leo's rain boot. Shhhh, don't tell Leo.

On a side note, if you wonder why on earth we are trying to catch the mouse, it's because if we leave it up to the cats, they just get it and make it bleed and believe me, it's not fun to clean up. Oh, and please don't share any of this with my parents because they are coming here next week. Good thing they won't be sleeping on an air mattress on the floor. They'll be upstairs where the mice don't seem to go.

With the mouse in boot and us tired from the chase, I had a brilliant idea. I thought it was brilliant at least. I would just throw the boot outside and let the mouse go for the night so I could get some slumber. SO, I tossed out the boot quick as I could so the little mouse didn't try to fly away suddenly, and out it went. Unfortunately, my idea was't so brilliant because out went the cat after the mouse - in the rain, up the stairs. Now we were chasing the cat. I finally did get her inside and considered it a loss. I'm sure the mouse will be back.

I laid in my bed trying to sleep afterwards with visions of mice in my head. I was so grossed out that I was unable to sleep. The injustice in all of it! What on earth did I do to deserve this?! What will people think?! Why can't anyone help us out here?!

No comments:

Post a Comment