Saturday, January 30, 2010

Moral Decline

THursday night was Family Literacy Night at the kids school. Neither one of us really wanted to go but it seemed like the right thing to do even though I could cuddle up and read w/ my kids in the warmth of my couch with a blanket and not traipse throught the dead of winter to do it under the flourescent lights at 7:00 at night. The kids were looking forward to going so we went. I had to drag Drew. I knew it was going to be lame though and it was. First station was introducing us to the Smart Board. Apparently they were having technical difficulties and it wasn't working the way it should. Does it ever? Drew pointed out they did the same thing when he was a kid with felt boards.

The next station was cuddle up and read. We used it to get some water and go to the washroom.

The last station was karaoke. The instructor pointed out that reading isn't just for books but can be for fun too. ? My child (can you guess which one - hint the youngest out of grades K-5) held the microphone and sang the loudest. Now, I let my kids listen to popular tunes on the radio. That's cool. They sing a long to them mostly just the chorus and guess at the rest and have no idea what its really about. Have them read the lyrics and thats another thing entirely. All this comprehension stuff may actually help them to understand those words when read aloud. We were appalled at the chosen songs. SOng #1 Fire Burning. Here is a sample of the lyrics:
My pocket started tickling the way she drop it low that thang..
that body is a masterpiece, the order is one in every hundred years, but aint no doubt I'm taking it home...
she got that fire in the dance that'll make them fellas run around, no exit from the dance floor, some of them boys wan' more.

YOu get the idea. By this time our jaws were on the floor. THe proctor for the station was none other than the very teacher Leo had last year - the Greek Orthodox one at that!

The next song was I Gotta Feeling and goes somehting like this:
I know that we'll have a ball
If we get down and go out and just lose it all
I feel stressed out, I wanna let it go
Let's go way out spaced out and losing all control

Fill up my cup, mozoltov
Look at her dancing, just take it off
Let's paint the town, we'll shut it down
Let's burn the roof, and then we'll do it again

NO other parents seemed at the least bit shocked except our neighbor when Drew mentioned it said he didn't like it. Drew told him it was due to the decline of the church and he didn't agree at all. It was a night to remember I'll tell you.

Then Leo had his first sleepover last night. I didn't let him stay as I wasn't too comfortable just yet. We were told they would be watching Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and it sounded like fun. We decided we would call around 9 to see where they were in the movie and go pick him up after the movie was over. Well, we didn't need to bc the mom gave a play by play of the night by posting updates on her FB - updates about all the liquor she was consuming and the injuries that were occuring. We thought and hoped she was just being cute for her FB friends but when she posted that they had voted (7 year old boys) and The Love Guru won - we were out the door early to pick him up. Here's the description of this rated PG13 movie:
" Rated PG-13 for crude and sexual content throughout, language, some comic violence and drug references." "Born in America, but raised in Havemahkeeta in India, with a population of 76, Maurice had always to better Deepak Chopra, and be sexually active, ever since he was 12. His Guru, Tugginmypudha, while approving of Deepak, cautions Maurice and has a chastity belt put around his waist. Years later, Maurice has established himself as Guru Pitka in America, but would like to appear in the Oprah Show and be better than Deepak Chopra. When Jane Bullard from the the Toronto Maple Leafs hires him to counsel their star hockey player, Darren Roanoke, to win back his wife, Prudence, from Kings' star player, Jacques Grande, and also stand up to his dominating mother, Lilian, he agrees to do so - with hilarious results. "

What the hell? DO people just have no moral ground anymore whatsoever? I've personally never seen the movie but was told by another adult that it was very gross out humour and I oculd tell by the description, highly inappropriate. We rarely let Leo watch rated PG movies. We picked him up and he did mention to us that they said bad words in the movie. I'm glad I hadn't agreed to let him stay the entire night. Another friend who did called us shortly after becuase she was seeing the updates and was very nervous. Oh did I mention that there is a video of my child that I did not allow on FB? Granted, it isn't just my child but its on there. DId anyone ask me if that was ok?!

It was a late night and the kids were indeed tired when we got them up early to make a 9 am dentist appt. downtown. Can you believe it costs $1000 for 4 cleanings? Is it really worth it to clean your teeth these days? We have insurance but it doesn't cover it all and it just makes me sick. Really? Why on earth must it cost that much?!

The weekend events have made me tired already. I took a nap and it was heavenly. Now I'm going to do nothing and try not to ponder what has happened to my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment